Thursday, January 27, 2011

Choccy Melts

There's a new bookstore in my neighbourhood and being a bookaholic I had to visit....again and again and again. There was a time, not long ago (less than 2 years) when I would home in on the fantasy literature section, murmur a spell, make money disappear and the book/s appear. I'd amble towards the culinary division, gaze fondly at the dessert recipes and saunter back home. Now, I head first to the underage section, find something to occupy my daughter and head to the culinary section....they're on the same level ;) I've resorted to online shopping for fantasy fiction. (sigh!)
On one of those 'new-bookshop-has-to-be-visited' jaunts, I saw a new addition in the desserts section. I, It was titled 'cookie magic'. Obviously, I fell for the title, and the book was good too. Pages of simple recipes :)
Using the 'try-before-you-buy' axiom, I noted down the recipe for the cookie titled 'Choccy melts'.
I baked the biscuits and left out the chocolate drizzle. The cookies were a nice dark brown and crisp. Some of them were a bit hard....the thinner ones got a bit over-baked... thankfully, they didn't burn (phew!)

Ingredients:
Butter - 9 tbsp; room temperature
Icing sugar - 1/2 cup
Cornflour (cornstarch) - 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder - 1/4 cup (I used Cadbury's)
All purpose flour - (3/4 cup

I also added one tablespoon of Bournvita. This wasn't a part of the original recipe and you can definitely omit this.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees Celcius.
Beat butter till very soft and add all ingredients till it forms a dough. Used my hands towards the end to get the dough together and form a log or sorts. I chilled it for thirty minutes and cut the 'log' into discs, placed them on a cookie tray and baked for about 5 to 6 minutes. My biscuits were about an inch in diameter and I got lots of them...bite-sized snacks :)

For the 'melts', author recommends that you melt some chocolate (100gms) in a heatproof bowl set over a vessel with boiling water or use a double boiler (a 'milk cooker' with lots  of water does the trick) and drizzle over the cookies. 
 
 
 


Source: Cookie Magic by Kate Shirazi

No comments:

Post a Comment